A pregnancy is termed high-risk when possible complications could affect the baby, mother, or both. This type of pregnancy requires special care and management by a specialist to ensure the optimal outcome for the baby and mother.
Dr. Himali Maniar is one of the best high-risk pregnancy obstetricians in Bopal, Ahmedabad, who has years of experience handling such cases successfully with utmost care.
She will assist you from the initial stage of evaluation till childbirth. Dr. Himali Maniar is the Director of her hospital and is available for consultation at Nisha Women's Hospital, Ahmedabad in the mornings and evenings.
What are the risk factors for a high-risk pregnancy?
Pre-existing medical issues, past abnormal pregnancies, multiple births, or medical complications that emerge during pregnancy can all lead to a high-risk pregnancy.
Many factors can cause a high-risk pregnancy, such as:
- Advanced age
- Heart disease
- Blood disorder
- Renal disease
- Respiratory disorders
- Hepatobiliary dysfunction
- Chronic diseases including thyroid, diabetes, high blood pressure, or lupus
- Women pregnant with twins or triplets
- Family history of mental retardation or congenital disabilities
- Women having a history of stillbirths, miscarriage, pre-term deliveries, or neonatal deaths
Ways in which you can promote a healthy pregnancy
- Make an appointment for a preconception consultation - Consult your gynecologist as soon as you think about getting pregnant. Even before you get pregnant, she will advise you to take daily vitamins containing folic acid and maintain a healthy weight. It would help if you addressed any ongoing medical conditions.
- Seek prenatal care - Antenatal appointments allow you and your baby's health to be monitored.
- Maintain a balanced diet - Increase the amount of folic acid, protein, calcium, and iron in your diet.
- Gain weight in a healthy way - The right amount of weight gain can help your baby's health while also making it simpler to lose weight after birth.
- Avoid harmful substances - Alcohol, smoking, and drugs should all be avoided.
What tests do you need to diagnose high-risk pregnancy?
Depending on your symptoms and condition, Dr. Himali Maniar, a high-risk pregnancy obstetrician in Bopal, Ahmedabad, may recommend you to undertake various tests. The tests listed below will assist her in identifying a high-risk pregnancy:
- Blood tests – It can help detect underlying conditions like gestational diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorders, which may prove harmful for you and your baby and necessitate prenatal monitoring and treatment.
- Ultrasounds — High-risk pregnancies are diagnosed with advanced ultrasounds. Targeted ultrasounds, for example, can provide an image of your child in the womb and pinpoint a potential issue, like abnormal fetal development.
- Urinalysis – It is used to identify high levels of sugar and protein in the urine and check for urinary tract infections.
- Antenatal testing – It examines the baby's heart rate, biophysical profile, and amniotic fluid.
- Genetic testing - To diagnose chromosomal abnormalities in the fetus, genetic testing may include NIPT, amniocentesis, or chorionic villus sampling (CVS).
What are the warning indicators you need to be aware of?
- Watery discharge
- Vaginal bleeding
- Slowed fetal activity
- Painful contractions
- Lower abdomen cramping and pain
- Severe headache
- Burning and pain during urination
- Blurred vision
- Sudden swelling
- Abnormal weight gain
The presence of these indications and symptoms necessitates immediate action and emergency treatment.
Medical conditions that can occur during pregnancy that need special attention
It is possible to develop medical conditions during pregnancy that can adversely affect your baby and you. They are:
Preeclampsia – It is a syndrome characterized by high protein levels in the urine, high blood pressure, and swelling. If not treated, it can be harmful or even fatal to the mother and baby. Most women who develop preeclampsia have healthy babies if they are appropriately treated. Dr. Himali Maniar, a high-risk pregnancy obstetrician in Bopal, Ahmedabad, is an expert in treating this condition.
Gestational diabetes - Diabetes that develops during pregnancy is known as gestational diabetes. If women with gestational diabetes adhere to their doctor’s treatment plan, they can have normal pregnancies and babies. Diabetes usually goes away after the baby is born. To avoid injury to your baby, you may require a C-section rather than vaginal birth.
Management of high-risk pregnancy in Ahmedabad
Dr. Himali Maniar, a competent high-risk pregnancy obstetrician in Bopal, Ahmedabad, may suggest treatment for high-risk pregnancy based on the diagnosis.
You will need to visit the hospital for a greater number of prenatal visits so that the doctor can closely monitor the pregnancy's progress.
Furthermore, you will be given guidance on your health and diet. To improve your and your baby's health, Dr. Himali Maniar will prescribe vitamins, medications, and iron supplements.
The doctor performs regular screening and tests to assess the baby's health and development.
We have ultra-modern infrastructure at Nisha Women's Hospital, Ahmedabad, providing you with the finest possible care for high-risk pregnancies.